Broccoli and Potato Frittata
Farmer John’s Cookbook ~Angelic Organics Serves 4-6
This basic frittata recipe can easily be added to with other vegetables and spices, and leftovers make a wonderful snack.
8 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
3/4 potato, diced
1/2 cup leek or onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups broccoli, chopped
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil
2. Combine 6 Tablespoons of the butter/olive oil over medium heat in a heavy, 10-inch, non-stick skillet with an ovenproof handle. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted.
3. Add the potatoes, onion, and red pepper flakes, sauté until the potatoes are soft and brown and the onions are golden.
4. Add the garlic, cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
5. Add the broccoli and 2 teaspoons of the salt to the pot of boiling water. Cook until the broccoli is barely tender, 3-5 minutes. Drain and let cool.
6. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the cooked potato mixture, broccoli, 6 Tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and pepper to taste.
7. Preheat the broiler.
8. Melt the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter/olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and immediately reduce the heat to low. Cook, without stirring, until the edges of the eggs are well set, about 10 minutes. The top will still look eggy and undone.
9. Sprinkle on the remaining Parmesan cheese and transfer the frittata to the broiler. Broil until puffy and slightly browned, checking every minute. The cooking time will depend on how cooked the egg already is and how hot your broiler gets.