Cucumber – Sour Cream Salad
1 Tbsp salt
⅔ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp white vinegar
3 Tbsp minced fresh dill
½ tsp sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Rinse cucumbers, do not peel, and cut off the ends. Using the tines of a fork, score the peel lengthwise. Slice into rounds, as thin as you can. Sprinkle with the tablespoon of salt and toss in a colander. Let the cucumbers stand and drain at room temperature for one hour. Rinse well to remove the salt. Squeeze the cucumber slices dry in a clean towel. They will be almost transparant.
Combine the remaining ingredients and fold into the cucumbers. Chill well before serving.
Zucchini, Feta, and Cumin Dip
*serve as a dip for raw cucumber, carrot, or broccoli sticks, kohlrabi slices, or other favorite snacks
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, diced
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
2 cups plain yogurt
Freshly ground black pepper
- Toast the cumin seeds in a dry pan over medium heat for about 2 minutes, until aromatic. Set aside.
- Head the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and salt to taste, and saute over low-medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the onion is tender and golden.
- Stir in the cumin, nutmeg, zucchini, and feta. Remove from the heat, and set aside to cool.
- Transfer the zucchini mixture to a large glass bowl. Mix in the coriander, yogurt, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.