Braised Green Bean and Chickpea Salad serves 4-6
This salad is delicious served warm on its own or over rice or pasta, but also works well chilled.
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb green beans
1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans (or 1 lb cooked)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Heat a medium-sized pot over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the onion, red pepper flakes, and salt, and cook until the onion is soft.
2. Add the green beans and a small splash of water (or white wine) and cover, cook until the green beans are tender but not yet rubbery, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the chickpeas and cook an additional 5 minutes.
4. Drizzle with lemon juice before serving.
Cold Cucumber Salad 6-8 servings
This is a great salad to cool down in the heat of the summer.
2 cucumbers, sliced thinly
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup dill, finely chopped
3 Tablespoons sugar
1. Place cucumber slices in colander. Sprinkle with salt; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, for dressing, stir vinegar, dill, sugar, and pepper in large bowl until sugar is dissolved.
3. Drain cucumbers well; pat dry. Add cucumbers to dressing and stir to blend. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours; serve cold.